Signs at your place or business have remarkable advantages. Signs can be termed as the visual address to your site. You can choose from any combination of the design and colours when going for the characteristics at your location. The signs at your business are long-term investments with high returns. They create a brand value without causing a burden on the marketing budgets. The neon signs are one such creative signs that lead the functionality, service life, and affordability, among other counterparts.
What is a neon sign?
A neon sign is an electric light sign that uses neon in long luminous tubes. The neon sign was developed in the year 1910 but got commercialized after one decade only. It is an ideal replacement to the board signs or written signs. The illumination power ensures that it adds aesthetics to the place and the best lighting in the dark.
The cost of a neon sign is comparatively lower than other visual signals. The flexibility in the sign’s design with an unlimited number of characters has opened the way for customer’s creativity.
How long do neon signs last?
To understand the service life of a neon sign, it is important to know that it is not a single unit. A neon sign consists of different components that work together. These components, along with their service life, are mentioned below:
- Tube: The neon sign tube is the long luminous gas discharge tube. These are robust in construction and can be used for 8-15 years. These tubes are the main component to the neon sign.
- Coating to tube: Have you ever imagined that how each neon tube has a different colour? It is due to the phosphor coating on the tube. The lifespan of this phosphor coating is between 7 to 10 years. This coating is essential to impart beautiful and distinctive colour to each neon tube.
- Transformer: A transformer is an electrical device that converts the voltages from one level to another. It is widely used in electricity transmission and specialized applications. A neon sign works on gas discharge. Hence, it employs a transformer that converts the standard voltage to appropriate levels. The lifespan of this transformer is between 7-10 years.
Factors affecting the service life of a neon sign
Multiple factors directly or indirectly associated with the service life of a neon sign. Some of these are:
- It operates on electricity. Hence, for the long service of a neon sign, it is important to have a consistent power supply.
- It should not be switched between on and off aggressively. This may cause unnecessary fluctuations in the power supply to the neon sign.
- The coating on the neon tube is damaged by environmental factors like wind, snow, heat, etc.
Neon Signage has a significant life span of around 8 to 15 years. The working life of a neon sign can be increased with efficient and judicious use at all times. It is the best blend of technology with marketing to yield multiple benefits to your business.